In terms of the new Legislation all affiliated SAPA members must be part of the shooting
- This means that all members must be affiliated to a Club which is affiliated to the Province,
which in turn is affiliated to SAPA.
- SAPA is affiliated to the SA Shooting Sport Confederation (SASSCo) and pays an annual
affiliation fee in respect of each affiliated member to SASSF, SASSF is affiliated to the
International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF).
- SASSF is the National body with whom Government and the SA Sports Commission
negotiate in terms of funding for all international shooting sport events and the awarding of
- SA Pistol Association’s affiliated members are eligible to participate in pistol, and
revolver target shooting events in the ISSF and NPA/PPC/NAR & 1500 disciplines at Club,
Provincial, and National level.
- Participation in International events is determined in terms of the shooters log tables which
are maintained by SAPA Statisticians.
- Should you or your Club decide to affiliate as an affiliated Club of the SA Pistol
Association, your Province would be determined in terms of your residential / geographical
area, and your Club must be affiliated to the respective Provincial Pistol Association. The
general rule is for a Club and its members to affiliate to the same Province, wherein they
reside or are geographically situated. There are however, members who have chosen to
affiliate to two Clubs or Provinces, but they are obligated to shoot for their primary Club or
Province in all National and Provincial Championships.
- Members who wish to affiliate must ensure that they submit a completed Personal Details
form (obtainable on the SAPA website www.samarksman.co.za, or from the Provincial
Secretary), a certified copy of their ID, 2 colour passport photos and a once-off fee of R40
for their affiliation pouch, together with their annual affiliation fees, as determined by the
Province, to their Club.
- SAPA’s official List of Membership form which is completed by all Clubs and submitted to
the respective Provincial Association in respect of affiliated members, is SAPA’s record that
the respective member/s is/are affiliated to a Club and the Province. This form is thus
proof of affiliation to the shooting structure in terms of the legislation if CFR should do a
- All affiliated Clubs are required to maintain a register of their affiliated members, and of
members who attend and participate on shooting days, for CFR inspection purposes, as
and when required. Members are thus reminded to sign the register at their Ranges on
- SAPA annually presents an open National Championship which is normally held the week
directly after the Easter weekend. The entry form and details are always available on dates
closer to the event, on the www.samarksman.co.za website. Germany, Namibia, Lesotho,
Russia and one or two members from Sweden have all participated during the past five
- Various Provincial Championships are presented throughout the year. SAPA’s annual
calendar, which specifies the dates and venues of the various Championships is available
on the SAPA website: www.samarksman.co.za Entry forms for the respective
Championships are placed on the website, as and when they become available closer to
the date of the events.
- Dedicated Sport Shooter (DSS) Certificates are issued to active dedicated members who
apply to renew their firearm licences, in terms of SAPA’s negotiations with Central Firearms
Registry (CFR). A SAPA DSS Certificate certifying that a member is classified as a
Dedicated Sports Shooter, can only be issued by SAPA as the official accredited body for
Pistol & Revolver sport target shooting in South Africa. This means that any member or
Club, not within the SAPA structure, will be unable to request a Certificate from SAPA for
classification of one of their members as a Dedicated Sports Shooter for renewal of their
- Dedicated Sport Shooters (affiliated active members) will have to prove that they
participate in the shooting sport with each firearm in their possession, to ensure that
their licences will be renewed. A shooters logbook must thus be maintained and signed by
the Range Officer or Official on duty after each event, in respect of participation in all Club
competitions, Provincial Leagues, Provincial and National Championships. Shooters
Logbooks are available from the SAPA Office.
- In order to ensure that the system is not abused by people who merely want to retain or
own multiple firearms (Pistols & Revolvers), DSS Certificates are only issued to members
who can prove their active participation, and have acquired the necessary points as
negotiated with Central Firearms Registry (CFR). All members are thus encouraged to
renew their affiliation annually, as CFR requires that SAPA inform them annually of
members who have not renewed their affiliation.
- DSS Points are allocated in respect of participation on the following basis:
Official Club competition 1 point per event
Provincial League 2 points per event
Provincial Championship 3 points per event
National Championship 4 points per event
International Championship 5 points per event
- An official motivational letter can be issued to affiliated SAPA members on request, for
submission to CFR in respect of applications for new firearm licences for sport shooting
events. The applications are approved by Clubs and Provincial Committees before
submission to SAPA..
- Targets and patches are available to affiliated members, from the SAPA Office at
affordable prices. Members are discouraged to purchase targets for, or on behalf of non-
affiliated members, as they do not qualify for the subsidized target prices.
- ISSF and NPA/PPC/NRA and 1500 disciplines, are presented under ISSF and
NPA/PPC/NRA/1500 rules, with qualified Range Officers officiating at affiliated Clubs and
- Members who are well acquainted with the official rules may apply to write Range Officer
exams to qualify as Range Officers in both ISSF and NPA/PPC disciplines, after a one year
term of membership.
- Members who were previously affiliated to SAPA (eg 2004 and before) and who wish to
renew their affiliation, may indicate their “old SAPA membership numbers” on their Personal
Details Forms to assist the SAPA Office in allocating the same numbers where possible.
Should the same numbers no longer be available, another number will be allocated.
- The duration of SAPA membership is from 1 January to 31 December of a year, in terms of
the SAPA Constitution, which coincides with SAPA’s Financial Year.
- The names and the contact numbers of contact persons of the various Provincial
Committees are also available on the website.
- The Provincial Chairpersons will supply you with details of all Clubs to which you could
affiliate, as well as the Provincial requirements.
- Each individual Club and Province determine their own membership affiliation fee, and
further details in this regard are obtainable from the respective Clubs or Provinces.
- New members who affiliate after 1 July of a year pay a pro-rata SAPA annual affiliation
fee as determined by the SAPA Council, at the ACM which is applicable to the year of
affiliation plus a R40 once-off payment for their affiliation pouch.
- In terms of SAPA’s Constitution, membership renewal fees in respect of both SAPA
membership and Provincial affiliations are due before 31 January of each year.
- A new Personal Details Form must be DULY completed by ALL members at the beginning
of every year. Each new member’s documentation should be stapled together and the
names of new members lightly printed on the reverse of photos (without damaging the
photos or smudging ink on them), to save time and possible errors. Photos are not required
when existing members renew their annual affiliation.
- The List of Membership Form which is submitted to SAPA by the respective Province as
proof of affiliation is the Club, Province and SAPA’s proof that that the member is affiliated
to the shooting structure, in terms of CFR requirements.
Please do not hesitate to contact the SAPA Office either telephonically or electronically, if you should have any further questions. Office Hours are Monday to Friday 08h30 to 13h00.
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.