Super Magnum / Super Magnum Optical
1. Firearms: Any magnum pistol or revolver, chambered to fire center-fire cartridges of .357 caliber or larger. No restrictions on barrel length. Porting or compensators are allowed.
2. Super Magnum Sights: Any open metal sights from any manufacturer, in any colour. Rear sights may be fixed or adjustable and fixed open front sights may not extend beyond the front of the barrel of the revolver or the slide or the pistol. Orthoptics, hooded or telescope sights are not allowed.
Super Magnum Optical Sights: No restrictions other than possibly the national firearm laws. Optical or electronic, fixed or adjustable. Front sight may not extend beyond the muzzle.
3. Grips: Orthopedic and target type as well as weighted grips are not allowed. Grips may be modified or changed because of the size of a competitor’s hands or to facilitate loading. Finger groove and slip on grips are allowed. Thumb rest grips/stocks, tape on the grip or any substance (except sweat preventers) which results in a sticky surface to the grip or hand, are not allowed.
Revolvers - If the revolver has single-action capability the single action trigger pull must not be less than 2.5 lbs. (1 135 g). A trigger stop is allowed.
Pistols - Trigger pull must not be less than 3 lbs (1 360 g) single action or those of double action capability only. A trigger stop is allowed.
5. Position: Standing, both hands may be used to hold or steady the firearm.
6. Ready position: Pistol held at 45 degrees, pointing at ground while targets are not facing. Firearm will be loaded, with a round in the chamber and hammer may be cocked.
7. Targets: HGW6 Sport Shooting PP1 Full, one per competitor.
8. Ammunition: 30 rounds of hand or factory loaded ammunition, to be supplied by the competitor, with a minimum Foot Pounds of Energy (“FPE”) factor of 464. FPE to be calculated by a Range Officer, with at least 3 rounds obtained from each competitor at random, with the use of a chronograph and scale, by way of the following formula:
Bullet Weight (gr) x feet per second divided by 450240 - Min Requirement = 464 FPE
e.g.: 158 gr Bullet @ 1150 fps 158 x 1150 x 1150 divided by 450240 = 464 FPE
e.g.: 200 gr Bullet @ 1025 fps 200 x 1025 x 1025 divided by 450240 = 466 FPE
e.g.: 240 gr Bullet @ 935 fps 240 x 935 x 935 divided by 450240 = 466 FPE
9. Course of Fire:
Practice 1 25M 10 shots in 120 seconds (to include reloading of 5 rounds).
Practice 2 15M 10 shots in two strings of 5. The targets will make 5 appearances of 3 seconds, with intervals of 5 seconds. One shot to be fired at each appearance. Ready position between target exposures must be 45 degrees or more below the line of sight.
Practice 3 10M 10 shots in two strings of 5. The targets will make 5 appearances of 2 seconds, with intervals of 5 seconds. One shot to be fired at each appearance. This detail to be shot twice. Ready position between target exposures must be 45 degrees or more below the line of sight.
10. Malfunctions: Other than defective targets, target mechanisms, range failures or range malfunctions, there are no allowances for malfunctions and no competitor will be allowed to re-fire because of a disabled pistol, a defective cartridge or any shooter or firearm related malfunction.
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.